Privacy and security
Summary: To the greatest extent possible Receipt Runner tries to keep everything local on your computer. That makes all your data private, and as secure as your computer is.
There are two exceptions to this:
- 1) If you use Plaid to import bank transactions automatically
- 2) If you pay for the app your email address and subscription status is stored on my server, and Stripe handles your payment data.
The app uses access to your emails to search for matching receipts, in the following way:
- All is done and stored locally on your computer, and no credentials or emails are given to our servers or are accessible by us.
- Receipt Runner uses the Gmail API 'gmail.readOnly' to do this, and all emails are fetched over secure HTTPS.
The app can be used to send emails with receipts to accounting software that supports importing receipts by email.
- Receipt Runner uses the Gmail API 'gmail.send' to do this, and all data is sent over secure HTTPS.
The app uses bank transcripts to search for the right receipts.
- Receipt Runner never stores bank transaction data anywhere but locally on your computer.
In addition, we store subscription status and your email adress on our subscription server. This is used to make sure only you have access to the app you've paid for and to contact you in case there's anything wrong.
Optional search improvement programme
If you want to teach our system to be better at finding receipts, you may in the future be asked if you want to opt in to a programme that allows us to experiment with different search methods. If so:
- The receipts will still be searched for locally, and no credentials will be shared with our servers.
- How well the search goes will be shared with us and used to improve the receipt searches.